Skip to content

Get Free Help When Filing Your Taxes

MACON, Georgia (41NBC/WMGT) – If you haven’t filed your taxes yet and are hoping for an option that doesn’t cost money, here’s one of them: the IRS Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program offers free tax help to those who qualify.  IRS-certified volunteers provide services to those who make $52,000 or less.  According to VITA’s website, here’s what you need to bring to a VITA location:

  • Proof of identification – Picture ID
  • Social Security Cards for you, your spouse and dependents or a Social Security Number verification letter issued by the Social Security Administration or
  • Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter for you, your spouse and dependents
  • Proof of foreign status, if applying for an ITIN
  • Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
  • Wage and earning statement(s) Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, 1099-Misc from all employers
  • Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
  • A copy of last year’s federal and state returns if available
  • Proof of bank account routing numbers and account numbers for Direct Deposit, such as a blank check
  • Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider’s tax identifying number (the provider’s Social Security Number or the provider’s business Employer Identification Number) if appropriate
  • To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms.

To visit their site, click here.

To find a VITA location near your neighborhood, click here and type in your zip code.

March 19, 2014 | Posted in